Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Monday, November 17, 2008

Photo From Your IPAddress Has Been Uploaded

It starts with an innocent message that you think comes from one of your Facebook friends. Below is a classic example of social engineering designed to steal your password.  It didn’t take a brilliant hacker to come up with this scam. It just took someone with evil thoughts and no life.


Facebook message from NOT a friend


I noticed this message on a friends Facebook page this morning and my experience told me right away that something smelled funny. When I cautiously went to the web page listed via my test machine it all become clear.


Bogus error message
First, they try and scare you.


 


Here's where you close your browser with Ctrl-Alt -Del
It might seems safe because they only want your Email right?


DO NOT ENTER YOUR PASSWORD!
If you entered your password, it’s time to go to Facebook
and other sites listed before and change it now.


There's more


Next Step


Here's where they finally get you so they know which password you gave them.
Now, they want to know where to use your name and password.



Final Screen
And finally, you get the final let down.


If you fell for this, you’re not alone.  Like most social engineering scams they use fear to throw you off.


 


 


 

Labels: , ,

Share on Facebook


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is good to be reminded that scams come in all forms and to be vigilente to recognize them for what they are... it is too bad that the web masters of these sites are too busy spending thier money to be more interested in protecting their sites in becoming a breeding ground for scams, instead we (the users) have to find out about these kind of things from a third party like pit stop...keep up the good work

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received a message from Facebook saying that my email settings had been lost......Click the link to renew them.

Obviously I did NOT click the link...I just threw the email in the JUNK mail folder!!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHA-I thought that was'nt rite..my daughter(whom has been raised on my "net paranoia" asked me about it ,lukily before she opened the gate and asked the devil in!.......xcellent work Mr. Bit Bill

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey mr 2nd commenter, that was an actual email from facebook haha, go check your email settings from facebook, I'm willing to bet you $50.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin,

It may be a valid email; STILL, you never click a link in an email.

I'm no computer wiz, and I know that.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wondering if anyone is literate anymore...

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the same email, supposedly from facebook. So, I went to facebook.com and checked my settings manually. Although, I also checked the Terms and privacy information in the Faqs. I believe it's a scam because none of my settings were gone. Even the faqs have an area that talks about sending emails. I think the email was a play on words. If in doubt, just always check the website address or type it in yourself. Never click on links.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home