Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Beware the Valentines Day Storm

No, I’m not talking about your spouses reaction if you forget a gift on Thursday, February 14th. Like many past holidays the well known “Storm” Trojan is using the upcoming theme of love to trick users into clicking on malicious sites.

Typical Email subject lines that I’ve already looked into include:
  • Our Love is Free
  • Happy Valentines day
  • I Would Dream
  • Hugging My Pillow
  • Inside My Heart
  • Sending You My Love
  • The Dance of Love
  • Eternal Love
  • A Rose for my Love
You get the idea right? As always, I recommend against clicking on links you’ve received in E-mails. It’s also important that you download new Windows security updates in a timely manner. Most Trojans like Storm depend on security holes which haven’t yet been patched.

Just to be sure it’s clear, this kind of Trojan is a bad thing.
Many of you may think of a Trojan as something that protects you against disease and untimely new family members. A computer Trojan is analogous to the legend of the large wooden horse used by the Trojan army to conquer the city of Troy.


Labels: , , ,

Share on Facebook


3 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

I got one this moirning from 84.220.24.97
An Italian IP...but the page didn't load. Be prepared for them, they'll start coming fast and hard.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill P.,
You say to download in a
timely manner the updates next
tuesday. Do you recommend right
away or wait the usual 7-10 days?
I've always waited except
when you says its important enough
to do it immediately.

John

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi John,

You must be a regular reader. :)
The term "timely manner" seemed like a good way to let people know that they should update but do so in a manner they feel comfortable.

"What I regularly recommend is that users set the Windows Update option so that it only downloads updates and doesn’t install them. I suggest waiting 7–10 days before installing any updates. Usually, the only exception is when it’s a security fix for a zero-day threat that is known to be widely deployed by the bad guys. If you do have problems with a security update you can contact Microsoft for free at 1–866–PC-Safety."

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home